- North Carolina colleges/universities that are accredited by the SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) will be invited to participate in the competition.
- Participating institutions may nominate a total of eight (8) contestants to represent their institutions, in the following categories: strings (including guitar and harp), woodwinds/brass, voice, and piano/percussion. Institutions can only nominate two (2) contestants per category.
- The competition is open to any student who meets one of the following two (2) criteria:
- Has attained at least the level of rising sophomore (or above), currently enrolled at a North Carolina college/university in a bachelor’s or master’s degree program; or
- Any graduate – within last two years – of a North Carolina college/university with a bachelor’s or master's degree. The student must be no more than 30 years of age as of time of competition.
- All finalists competing in the final round must provide an accompanist for the competition. Both the applicant and the accompanist must be available to travel to Boone, NC for the final round of competition, should they be selected as one of the eight (8) finalists for the competition.
- A First Place Winner from previous Rosen-Schaffel Competitions is not eligible to return for future competitions.
- Prize Award Eligibility Conditional upon authorization for employment in the United States or otherwise eligible to receive payment under state and federal laws.